A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pam Is Safe

I wrote to Pam's sister Carolyn today voicing my concerns about Pam and her apparent relapse. I'm sure she won't mind if I reproduce her email to me here:

"Dear Kate,
I can't thank you enough for your email -- you are one of several people who have kept up with Pam's blog who have written me about her and expressed concerns. What a wonderful community of caring you all are and it is so helpful to know that so many people care enough to write me to make sure Pam is getting the help she needs.

I will reassure you as I have the others that she is in the hospital where she needs to be, safe and seems well taken care of. Several people have been able to visit her including our father even though this time I have not been able to make the trip yet.

She says she's about to be discharged but from what I've heard from others I doubt it will happen as soon as she expects...but I would rather she stay as long as she needs.

In general I think you are right about the stresses on her and before she went into the hospital these were being dealt with, but life being what it is....well she's where she needs to be for now...

I'd be happy to write more later, but I gotta run now.

Best,
Carolyn"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Thank you so much for posting that. It breaks my heart she's back in the hospital, but at she's safe.

Elizabeth