A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

African Inspiration


I finished this gouache painting moments ago and then, after transferring the photo of it to the computer, I checked my email. There was an email from J.P. telling me that a school in Zimbabwe was having an art auction and needed artwork. There's a cholera crisis and the money would go towards getting clean drinking water for the children. I thought, what perfect timing on J.P.'s part because this would be a good painting to give to them. So I think that's what I'm going to do, once I figure out how to get in touch with them. I love the idea of one of my paintings helping children in Zimbabwe. It will also give me a little exposure because they send out the image of the artwork along with one's website to over 1500 people. Pretty cool. Thanks J.P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate,

I am so glad that you are willing to donate a painting. If you need help finding them then I will help you. I bought a raffle/ auction ticket from them some months ago but didn't win the painting at the time. I do think it is for a good cause but like you say the exposure won't do you any harm. I think this painting would be brilliant.

J.P

O B S E S S I V I S I O N said...

OMG, this is great to hear! This is exactly what I will be doing with my art reproductions. I will be donating 75% of all print sales to charity (25% is for overhead-or else I would donate it all). I love our painting and I think someone else will be very happy to own it. If you haven't already, you can check out my anti stigma art at: www.gaining-insight.com My store will be up and running in a few weeks.