A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

"Sisters" and Another Acrylic Painting



It's too late to write much, but I just wanted to post my two latest paintings, both of which I did today. On thursday I bought 5 one quart cans of acrylic enamel housepaint (indoor/outdoor paint) in 5 different colors, but they didn't have yellow which is an essential primary color, so tomorrow I'm going to try another place. Once I have the three primary colors--yellow, blue and red, I can mix orange, purple and green, but I also got a pre-mixed green and a gray and a black, though brown would be good too. I will use primer for the white. Then I will set up on the floor with primed, but unstretched canvas. Much cheaper to paint this way, though I think I will spend some money getting more non warping canvas boards which are as cheap as you can get, that is around $6 for a 24" x 30" board. That's not bad. A stretched canvas that size could cost $15-$25-$35 depending on how thick the wood is. Ideally, I should use my garage to build stretchers and make frames. I've never made a frame, but I have stretched canvas at school on some very nice, thick wood. Right now, I can't do it, but maybe within a year or two.

1 comment:

Culture Served Raw said...

These are beautiful, thanks for sharing