A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Poem--First Draft

The other day I joined a poetry writing group called Crazy Poems on LiveJournal. It's a group for poets who suffer from mental illness. One of the founding poets set up a challenge to write a poem about one's healed self and this is what I came up with--first draft:

************************

Healthy Self


I see my healthy self as a phoenix rising from the ashes
A 500 year old bird transformed by fire and reborn to fly again.

Here's how I fly:

I sweep my house clean, brush my teeth
Wash and dry my body, my clothes.

I open doors and windows
I call out to friends and strangers alike--

"Come sit by me and tell your story
We'll weave our tapestries together
To form a stronger bond."

I look up and see the harmony in the clouds
I wait for the rain to fall

Water is nourishment
Earth is for growing things
And oceans hold time
In the rhythmic swell and release of the tides.

Everything is out in the open
The fig leaves fall
And we are naked
As the day we were born.

The shame is gone
And I am smiling.

******************************************

By the way, Pamela Spiro Wagner, who suffers from schizophrenia, has a new book of poetry out called We Mad Climb Shaky Ladders: Poems. You can buy her book on Amazon. Please do, she is an extremely talented poet with much insight into her illness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. Made alot of sence.

J.P

nancy said...

Kate -

I really like opening your windows ...and welcoming the world and people in....
Nice..

Just saw a 3D movie for the first time last night with my grown daughter Nayomi..."UP" - your poem made me think of it because of being in a house and the outside.

In the film (animation) the old man instead of accepting to go in an old folks home ties balloons onto his home and leaves the morning they are supposed to pick him up. We wore 3D glasses. If you can, go see it! So much fun and also poignant. So uplifting! LOL!

xo,
Nancy
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I really want to see a 3D movie.

J.P

Tonjia Rolan said...

Truly and profoundly beautiful...YOU!

Chris said...

Hi Kate,

What a gorgeous poem!

For a first draft, I like it as it is.

Beautiful.

Cheers,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Dear Katy,

I like the poem, it feels familiar. Long time ago, before I "went mute" as I use to call my decision to stop expressing myself and to change into a person/mother/wife just "like anybody else", I had an American friend with whom we used to exchange poems´drafts for revision. It was a kind of sisterhood. Such sisterhood I still feel with my favourite poets - the most favourite of which is Anne Sexton. Your poem has brought me back the memory of her.

I am coming to your blog redirected from SchizophreniaConnections - I read your posts there and you struck me as someone I felt close to. Just a feeling, but a strong one. I was also captivated by Christina Bruni, incessantly counselling and giving out positive examples of recovery to so many people, and by David Robbins who taught me through his posts tonight a lesson of living, loving, laughing, learnig and listening and the importance of it.

So I thought I would write to you to say I read your posts on the SZC site and thank you for helping me out of the loneliness which I felt yesterday. I googled "lonely" and the SZC page popped up. And now, knowing there are people like you out there, I am just not lonely anymore. I have such an uplifting feeling of human warmth!

Keep writing,

Magdalena (Not anonymous; here is my contact should you like to write to me - and I´´ d be glad if you did: minka@napismi.cz)

Wanderer said...

My thanks to everyone for posting. Magdalena, I will send you an email shortly and thank you.

Kate