A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bear Figurine And Latest Abstract In Gouache



No bear last night, I left the outside light on all night.

Here's my latest painting. I worked on it for a couple of days because I had trouble choosing the colors. The photograph doesn't quite do it justice, but you get the idea. This is the third painting in the gouache abstract series and I hope to do nine more so that I can make up a calendar of them. I'd also like to keep up with the abstract expressionist acrylic paintings and make up ten more of those. I like alternating from abstraction to portraiture. I got my watercolor easel the other day so I can begin to set up outside and paint. I have to see if I have enough energy and courage to do that. It will be a switch from painting from photographs or making up abstractions.

I've lost 14 pounds in just under 3 months because I've been sticking to the diet, but I haven't been exercising much lately and I really have to get back to it. Still the weight is coming off and I'm determined to lose the rest of it so that by Christmas I'll be approaching a healthy weight. The key so far to losing the weight has been to keep a food log of what I eat and to keep it within 1500 a day. I find I can do that and I don't feel deprived. I did return to the Anne Collins site, but I have to make a point of stopping by several times a week. She's a great motivational coach. All I want to say is that yes, you can lose the weight even if you are taking anti-psychotic medications. Just don't give up on it, allow for set backs and keep trying and know that you have to change your lifestyle and be patient. Slow and steady is that best way to lose it and keep it off. And set mini goals that you can reach, that has helped me to see that I am making progress. Also I've found that some weeks I'll lose 2-3 pounds and other weeks just a 1/2 a pound or nothing, so it's not generally a steady 1 pound a week thing, but in the long run the weight does come off.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Kate,

Congratulations on the weight you have taken off! And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, and for suggesting Anne Collins. I don't know if I'm quite ready to join yet, but I'm considering it.

I really like the bear sculpture. And I like your painting as well. It is interesting to see the difference in style between the gouache and the acrylic paintings you've done.

Take care,

Mike

Anonymous said...

To Kate,

Yes congrats on your weight loss. You are doing so well.

J

Wanderer said...

Thanks Mike and Jeni.

Mike, if you do decide to join the Anne Collins site I can attest to the fact that she is there on a regular basis, gives weekly pep talks, and is easy to reach and the people there are very supportive. For the price, it's more than worth it I think.

I'm glad you like the painting and I also think the differences between the gouache and acrylic paintings are interesting. With the acrylic I paint more freely, but with the gouache I am more precise.

Kate : )