A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Poem: Inside The Labyrinth


Inside The Labyrinth

So close
Yet so far away you are
From me.

So close
Yet so far away you are
From all the aspects in your mind
Struggling to embrace
True freedom.

The freedom of unity
Within the core of a healthy life.
Don't you deserve this
Despite the horrors you have faced
And perpetuated
Like countless numbers of soldiers
Who have returned home,
Who right now suffer so extremely
Just like you?

Did you get your rest last night?
Did you eat?
Did you take care of these basic needs?
Are you giving yourself a chance to heal today?

You are my dear companion
So close, yet so far away
And I will stay right here with you
As you go through
This labyrinth
Circle after circle
Till you reach the deepest center
And finally turn around
To make your way
Back to the beginning.

And every circle you walk around
Will bring you closer
To your true self,
The self you purely were
Before you were born,
Before you were conceived,
The self that I will greet
When you cross the thresold
And return home.


Listen to Audio here.

No comments: