A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Sun Road Watercolor Sketch



Today's morning study.  5"x7" watercolor with watercolor pencil on watercolor paper.  I overpainted it and lost the highlight of the paper.  I usually paint watercolors on an Arches paper block, so the paper is stretched and flat, but this paper was loose, which took away some of my control over laying down the paint.  This painting is based on a photograph that I got from Google Images.  I think I'd like to try again on stretched paper, maybe a little larger.  I took the photo of the painting with my good Nikon digital camera instead of my iPhone, so it stayed in focus.  Glueing it down helped too.
I love taking photos of my artwork.  When I crop it a little bit, I can make clean edges, which I like.  The color pops a little more intensely in the photograph.  So much of whether an images works or not depends upon background color and lighting.  Shift those and you change the appearance of the work.

I've decided to do at least one painting a day using the road theme, maybe road and sun theme in a landscape.  I showed Sunday's painting to my sponsor and she asked me to try painting the different feelings I have.  I will keep that in mind.  But one thing that is fun about painting is that the moods tend to shift as the painting progresses.  That's why sometimes I take photographs at different stages of the painting process to see the different moods.

No comments: